So there’s still a few weeks of summer left and I (T) am lucky enough to still be enjoying time off. Bee on the other hand is busily working away, busting her hump, working 9 – 5 (did you sing it?). More often than not, I forget what day of the week it is and lose track of time. What a beautiful gift summer is. The hubby has this week off as well (completely trying to assume the vacation time of teachers through association I think!) but I’m pretty happy to spend a relaxed and uninterrupted week with him.
This morning felt like a Sunday and that meant I needed to make a nostalgic Sunday breakfast… what better breakfast than pancakes and bacon? I know! Chocolate chip pancakes, maple syrup, bacon, and freshly squeezed orange and pineapple juice! Hello. And when I say “pancakes” think of the offspring one would get from the perfect union between a doughnut, pancake, and almond biscotti. Oh ya, I went there. A wholesome threesome of goodness, right there on your breakfast plate, ready to be devoured.
These pancakes are not only kind to your tummy, they are hands down, the best pancakes I’ve ever had. It’s taken me four years to present the hubby with an acceptable pancake that is free from grain, gluten, dairy, soy, and refined sugar.
I have experimented with recipes that I found online from amazing people like paleomg, civilized caveman, against all grain, lexi’s clean kitchen, and experienced the yummiest of food creations thanks to these creative and health-conscious individuals. I have learned from these wicked awesome paleo pioneers, so a great deal of thanks to them!
Even more importantly, I have been gifted two lifetimes of lessons while cooking with my mom and gramma in the kitchen. It’s taken a few years to get really comfortable with baking and cooking food that is equally delicious as it is healthy.
Alas, here it is, a chocolate chip pancake recipe that I have adapted from Lexi’s Clean Kitchen fluffy pancakes. This recipe elicited the following response from my other half: “I want to eat these everyday – I’d pick them over buttermilk pancakes any day. You should call those healthy doughnut pancakes“. We hope you enjoy them as much as we do.
Healthy Chocolate Chip Doughnut Pancakes
(add some fresh orange peel and you’ve got a perfect Christmas morning breakfast!)
Serves 4 people, or 2 really hungry adults!
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup applesauce (we use unsweetened)
- 1 vanilla bean pod scraped out or 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp almond extract (don’t miss this step as it is essential for the doughnut flavour!)
- 1/4 cup almond flour/meal
- 3/4 cup flaxseed meal
- 1 cup tapioca starch
- 2 tsp baking powder (level)
- pinch of salt or a few turns from your salt grinder
- handful of enjoylife mini chocolate chips (stir in at the end)
- coconut oil or butter for cooking
1. Whip the wet ingredients with a hand mixer in a separate bowl.
2. Dump dry ingredients one at a time into the wet bowl.
3. Combine with hand mixer until well incorporated.
4. Stir in chocolate chips.
5. Heat oil of choice in a pan at medium to high.
6. Drop ice cream scoop dollops of batter in the pan (I can get 5 in my large pan).
7. Once you see pancakes fluff up, flip and cook for one more minute.
8. Stack, and serve with maple syrup!
*** These freeze really well and then can be popped into a toaster for a quick and easy weekday breakfast.